Chaos theory

24 October 2013

Aerial shot of a particularly messy car park, right?

cairotraffic3

Almost. That is, in fact, the main Nile Corniche road running north-south through central Cairo, as seen from my hotel balcony earlier this year. I watched for ages.

Try and figure out what each driver is trying to do. Such spirit. Such a delicate dance between order and chaos.

Here’s a wider view. It’s even better.

cairotraffic2

And this is what I saw when I lifted my head.

cairotraffic1

Mother of the world, they call Cairo.

1. 24 October 2013 2.19pm

Oh.my.goodness!!!

2. 24 October 2013 2.38pm

Not bad for the Egypt we know and love!

3. fabwolftravels permalink
    24 October 2013 5.04pm

Very nice snapshots, Matthew! My own close encounter with Cairo’s traffic is engraved in my memory – and not just because I described it in ‘Views from a Cruise’, but because of the sheer, unbelievable fatalism of the drivers, insh’allah, and their willingness to gamble their lives and those of others.

4. 24 October 2013 9.17pm

amazing point of view…
    it is definitely something one has to see to believe :)

my only question is where are the people?! were they all in Tahrir?
    it would only be real if there are 1573 people crossing the street at the same time, crowding the cars and taking their time :)

you’ve been quite recently, hope all is well?

5. 29 October 2013 3.34pm

“Relax mister, this is Egypt” – one old man, taxi driver said to me amidst of some central square in Cairo once upon a time. This is not a traffic jam, this is Egyptian style of driving. Thank you for your post!

6. 2 November 2013 10.52pm

Yes, absolutely sums it up. I really like it, and am sorry that it really doesn’t seem like the time to visit right now

7. 3 November 2013 12.29am

That’s insane! I love how each country has their own unique order when it comes to driving.

8. 8 November 2013 11.50am

They cant stop horning 24/7

9. 15 November 2013 10.01am

I agree that every country has its own driving order, and the way it is pictured is awesome.

10. 7 December 2013 6.51am

Its pathetic to even know that there is soo much unwanted traffic all over the world nothing seems to be in order specially when lunatics are driving vehicles on the road. for god sake this is 21st century people should have a better brain.

11. 16 March 2014 11.49pm

Hahaha … this is amazing …. add some motorbikes and it could be any street almost everywhere in Asia… But even if it is unimaginable for us, it is probably safer than the traffic back home.

12. 26 March 2014 8.26am

Uh, well, er, maybe… :)

13. 27 March 2014 2.21am

hahaha that’s a great photo…definitely not America!