Jordan visa fees rise for 2014

31 March 2014

I’ve had it confirmed to me from several independent sources today (March 31 2014) that Jordan’s government has decided to double the cost of a tourist visa to enter Jordan with immediate effect – from 20JD to the new price of 40JD (which equates to £35 or US$60).

The new, higher rate applies from tomorrow, April 1st 2014. (And no, it’s not an April Fool! I double-checked!)

That means that this price doubling was announced with less than 24 hours’ notice.

I understand that Jordan’s tourism authorities argued against the price rise, especially with such short notice, but without success. The rise was ordered by the Minister of Finance.

I’ll spare you the analysis. But, with tourism confidence way down, to charge 40JD to enter the country and 50JD to enter the number one attraction, Petra, I’d love to know more about the Jordanian government’s long-term strategy for tourism growth.

1. 31 March 2014 6.17pm

Iran just did a similar thing – they announced they wanted to boost tourism at the start of the year and then just suddenly without warning changed all the regulations and made it much harder for tourists to get a visa. I’ve written about it here if interested: http://80elephants.wordpress.com/2014/03/21/how-not-to-boost-tourism-in-your-country/ – I really don’t understand the logic!!

2. 31 March 2014 6.17pm

well, Mathew, I should say I’m surprised, but I’m not. I’m sad to say there seems to be no end to the ineptitude of Jordanian authorities. I despair. Luckily chai, hummus and full are cheap!

3. 1 April 2014 12.37am

Thanks for the heads up! :)

4. 1 April 2014 6.19am

We are planning a visit soon – unfortunate timing. As a family of five – that really adds up!

5. 1 April 2014 7.05am

They don’t miss a trick, do they! The stupid thing is that tourism shows signs of rather a healthy spring season, perhaps that’s why they want to cash in on it!

6. 1 April 2014 8.43am

Nooo! What a shame. Thanks for being the bearer of bad news ;)

7. 1 April 2014 2.05pm

Frustrating…

8. Morton permalink
    1 April 2014 7.26pm

…I’m doing study abroad in Jordan and just left on spring break to go to Israel/Palestine. Today. I (obviously) have to go back at the end of spring break. This really, really sucks.

9. 5 April 2014 7.54pm

nice post!! :)

Ruby

10. Mosleh Farajat permalink
    7 April 2014 8.37am

Well, I feel sorry about it as a Jordanian, We should encourage tourists to come and make travel easier and cheaper ! But tourists who come to visit only pay once but for us as a Jordanians we pay every day I hope you got it and that would make you feel happy you paying only once :)lol

11. 7 April 2014 12.14pm

I’ve got an update on this, posted on the Trip Advisor Jordan forum

“The visa fees to Jordan will not be raised until October 2014. The decision was made during a meeting held by the Parliamentary Tourism and Antiquities Committee in Amman yesterday. The meeting was attended by the Secretary General of the Ministry of Tourism and representatives of the ministries of Interior and Finance, as well as the Jordan Society of Tourism & Travel Agents and the Jordan Tourism Board. Here’s the khaberni.com news article if anyone would like to Google or Bing translate it: http://tinyurl.com/pj5onws

Patricia (Petra B&B)”

I think I had better refrain from any comment on this!

12. 9 April 2014 8.36am

As Ruth pointed out, our tourism season looks (looked?) very promising this year. I can’t help wondering how this will affect travelers who haven’t yet confirmed their plans. I am constantly in awe of the incompetence at the Ministry of Tourism. Petra, our number 1 destination is nothing short of a robbery. Other, lesser destinations are neglected at best or ignored at worst. Corruption and fatuity rule the day…

13. 18 April 2014 4.06am

I can’t imagine that the cost of the VISA will affect tourism one bit. Trips like this are done by people who research, know where they’re going, and have the means to adjust to local political changes – smart really.

14. 18 April 2014 11.50am

Thanks, everyone. A real diversity of comments! Very interesting.

I can confirm (from first-hand experience) that a tourist visa to enter Jordan is now 40 JD.

15. 21 April 2014 12.15pm

Thank you for the heads up. Great to know and not get a surprise on entry. Safe travels

16. Provini Eric permalink
    12 May 2014 10.50am

I’m going Jordan 3 times per year for 5 years, and the price of visa has risen to 10JOD 40JOD. It’s still expensive, even if the country is wonderful.

17. 11 June 2014 3.21pm

I agree on the expensive, and the wonderful!

18. - Ruth - permalink
    12 June 2014 7.24am

So do I, so I pay it. But imagine a family with several children. Inevitably they are going to hesitate before deciding on Jordan.

Somebody has found an interesting way around this : fly to Israel and cross at Eilat/Aqaba to get the free visa. A clever idea, but I wonder how long before the ASEZ visas are stopped.

19. 12 June 2014 8.37am

Thanks, Ruth. That option has always been there (for several years anyway, since the ASEZ visas came in).

But with the difficulty of a transfer from Ovda airport (let alone TLV) to the Israeli side of the border, the crossing itself, and then the lack of transport options on the Jordanian side, I doubt the financial savings – if there are any! – would outweigh the hassle.

It’s a decent option if you’re already planning to be in Eilat anyway, but it would take some serious number-crunching and delay calculation to justify buying flights into Israel specifically to avoid the JD40 visa fee at Amman.

Which, I’m sure, the Jordanian authorities are well aware of.

20. 21 July 2014 2.53am

Really interesting post! Well done

1. What it’s like for an Arab to go on vacation | The Bancast
  2. A non-oil rich Arab planning to go on vacation: What it’s like? | Adonis Diaries