New unique tour of Jordan

15 June 2014

I’m really delighted to announce my latest venture, a unique tour of Jordan, led by yours truly and promoted via the Daily Telegraph here in the UK.

Click the links for more. It’s all pretty self-explanatory, and there is full extra detail and the complete itinerary on the Mosaic Holidays site (they are the ones handling bookings – apologies for their white-on-black text design).

After much discussion, Mosaic and I have pitched the tour at a Telegraph-style demographic – older, spirited, reasonably well off, first time to Jordan. It’s not the cheapest or the most physically demanding holiday out there, but within the constraints of time and logistics I think I’ve put together a pretty rewarding, inventive and wide-ranging itinerary that will cover many highlights and some unusual corners too. Above all, thanks to my close links with Jordan over the years, living in Amman and working on the Rough Guide to Jordan and other journalistic assignments, the idea is that my presence on this trip will deliver the kind of cultural insight that most other tours can’t touch.

Fingers crossed. I hope you can join me in 2014 and 2015!

1. 15 June 2014 8.51pm

Nice tour Matthew, hopefully time to visit Jacaranda Images in the Amman section. WOuld be happy to be involved! Good luck with it, Barbara

2. 15 June 2014 9.01pm

Thanks so much, Barbara – great to hear from you. I would love to! Brilliant idea.

3. annathrax permalink
    15 June 2014 11.29pm

I would love to join you. I wonder if i can leave baby with the grandparents and come along! Lol

4. 16 June 2014 8.11am

Congratulations on the new venture, I hope it’s very successful. Certainly you know far more about Jordan than the average tour leader, I hope your tourists appreciate it.

Do tell, where is the third entrance to Petra? I was thinking the Monastery but that’s not easy going.

5. 16 June 2014 8.20am

Or bring baby :)

6. 16 June 2014 8.22am

Thanks so much, Ruth. Very kind words.

The idea for Petra is 1) Wadi Turkmaniyya 2) Siq 3) Monastery. They’ve improved the Monastery back path in the last year or two – no scary bits anymore, all consolidated.

7. annathrax permalink
    16 June 2014 11.33am

I dont think you or the folks on tour would appreciate my 2 year old singing peppa pig on loop all day long.

8. 16 June 2014 4.25pm

haha! Fine by me, personally speaking…

9. 19 June 2014 5.48pm

Reblogged this on The Student Flyer and commented:
    For readers in the UK here is an excellent opportunity to visit a destination that people tend to gloss over. Jordan is an excellent holiday destination and home of the magnificent Petra, one of the New Seven Wonders of the World. It’s a must see if heading to Jordan or anywhere else in the Middle East.

10. alexberman123 permalink
    23 June 2014 7.29pm

Very cool! Leading a travel expedition sounds awesome. Im actually doing a series of posts on the Middle East as well, specifically my time spent in Israel, feel free to check it out when you get a chance!

11. 26 June 2014 10.51am

Have you worked in a wine tasting…?

12. 2 July 2014 2.22pm

Appreciate your blog. Helps me remember there’s a world out there beyond Indiana.

13. 3 August 2014 12.05pm

Haha! Thanks, yes, a big one!

14. 3 August 2014 12.07pm

15. 16 August 2014 4.05pm

Matthew, I love your stuff, and this looks like a spectacular tour. Very well thought out. I need to try to go on this. I lived out in Saudi last year, went all over, even hitchhiked to Madain Saleh, but I didn’t get to explore Jordan as much as I had hoped. Jordan seems like a gem of a country from my few visits and the Bedouin culture has always fascinated me, how fierce tribal history in such a barren environment can create such warm and hospitable people. There are so many fascinating layers to the culture and it would be an incomparable experience to hear it from your perspective.

16. 23 September 2014 3.07pm

Thanks so much, Brad, I really appreciate it. Hope to see you on the tour! You’re one up on me – I’ve been to Saudi, but never yet made it to Madain Salih. One day…